Sunday 21 April 2013

Investing for Maximum ROI

The past month has been incredibly hectic, but at the same time, very rewarding as I invest some quality time into learning and networking outside the fitness industry. How many times do we take the initiative to focus on ourselves from time to time? Not many right? I for one am guilty of neglecting myself. My recent trip to Vancouver to attend the Professional Photographers of Canada Canadian Imaging Conference was the first "holiday" I have taken since a trip back to Newfoundland for Christmas in 1998. 

On Saturday I had the opportunity to return to my alma mater where I graduated with my BBA. This time, it was my brother’s girlfriend who was walking down the isle with a cheek-to-cheek grin. It’s something to be proud of - all those years of study culminating with a mortarboard and a graduate diploma - it means something. I reminisced and thought about the years since - wow!! I have concluded that as long as you do everything to the best of your ability you are never wasting time. Sure we may switch directions in life, but that is a part of growing. Over the years I have managed a gym and a construction business - but it took me a few years before I settled into what I loved doing the most - taking photos. A camera gives me an opportunity to leave a little of myself with each client I work with and that friends is profound and rewarding.

Although I receive a lot of “Thank Yous” and compliments regarding my work, I get emails at times that catch me off guard – in a good way. On Friday I received a message from a girl I photographed at the Canadian Nationals in BC in 2012. Here are a few combined exerts: “David, I just want to thank you for your blogs... the topics you write about are what individuals are thinking and wondering about. Your blogs have guided me and given me a different perspective. When I started in the industry in 2007 I was very naive and wish I had had some proper guidance. I hope you continue to blog and pass on your knowledge and perspective of different things that occur out there. When I met you in Aug 2012 you exceeded my expectations, I heard many great things and from chatting previously I knew you were going to be an "ok guy" lol, but your personality and now your blogs... well all I have to say is you are doing exactly what you should be doing... you make a difference David in many lives when it comes to self esteem and self confidence. Thank you!”

On Saturday, Hope Channel Inc President Bradley Thorp shared at the Baccalaureate a talk titled “Investing for Maximum ROI”.  In it he encouraged every graduate to find their gift, regardless of how small they perceive it to be and share it with the world. He reiterated we all have something we can share with the world. Perhaps it’s our caring personality, our ability to teach, clean floors, drive a cab, or concentrate on doing a life saving surgery. In society most skills are rewarded differently, but the fact remains we each have the capacity to do good for those around us and make a significant difference. Think about it. Whatever we are doing this moment in our lives we need to be doing it to the best of our abilities. It is likely something we excel in and it does make a difference with those around us regardless if we reap the thanks.

As a photographer there used to be a time when I questioned the good I did with a camera. There are so many people in the industry for the wrong reasons and at times it’s near embarrassing to say “I’m a professional photographer". However, when I receive a little special “Thank You” like I did on Friday, I feel like I am making a difference. I’m not the only one that is though. You are too.

I challenge you to keep working hard at what you’re doing now and continue to make a difference. Take pride in your work and in yourself. Invest your energy wisely and it’ll show in the final product which I consider maximizing your ROI (Return on Investment).

Until next time,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment