Monday 22 April 2013

Beautiful


Beautiful.

We each have a vision of what “beautiful” is. When we look at a set of photos, there are always a few that jump out at us isn’t there? The truth is, every single person has a beautiful side and someone that can find it can capture it.

I feel in many ways beauty shines most brightly through those that love themselves but I also feel that those lacking self-confidence and worth are equally as beautiful in their unique way.  It can take time to reverse the thought patterns a person has locked in place. When someone looks in the mirror and doesn’t feel they are good enough to have their photo taken, that is a challenge I thrive on. I often receive emails from girls who are timid asking to book a shoot. They start off revealing their nervousness and the thought that I likely only work with experienced models. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The majority of ladies I work with are regular people, many with the same fears and insecurities others experience. I have had the honour of traveling around North America working with hundreds of first time “models”. I have worked with victims of domestic abuse who feel worthless. Each person is beautiful when they see themselves through my eyes. Does the camera have the power to undo years of negative self-image? You bet it does!! A quality portrait can be the foundation to a new life. That’s exciting!!


(2011 David Ford Choice Award winner Chelsea is one of the most beautiful athletes I have photographed.)

Each of us has friends that battle inner demons daily. How often do we reach out and share a positive word?  One simple word can make all the difference in a person’s day. I challenge each of you to say one kind word a day to someone on social media. Together we can make a difference in the lives of those around us.

Thank you for reading,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment