Wednesday 12 October 2011

Evolution


I love my work!! Every day is an opportunity to explore something new and evolve.

After the events of the past week, I felt I needed to take a moment to step back and look at everything good around me. As I reflected on this past summer I started thinking back further... I kept going... I went back a few years. I have been on somewhat of a joy ride since photography began to lure me in '03. When I bought my first camera nearly ten years ago I had no idea what my future held. Those early days were some of the most fun days I had. I was excited to step outside and explore. Everything was new to me.


Learning "pre-digital" required practice largely through trial and error. Fortunately, there wasn't much of a learning curve since photography came natural to me. I quickly became proficient seeing, interpreting and utilizing light. The potential downside to that is a person never really formulates a style. However, I like to be challenged, which for me means evolution. Many photographers develop a style and seem to be content in it but I can't settle for that regardless of the genre of my work. My motto is: "My next photo will be my best photo." As in my early days, this ideology keeps me excited to step out to explore and capture something unique.


Today, my evolution continues. I'm fortunate to work with some of the top UFC athletes in the world, some of the best physiques on the planet, many caring families and take part in the union of amazing couples. My journey is made better and more complete by sharing moments with everyone I meet. The exchange of energies is an opportunity which allows me to explore my own artistic genes and that is something very special to me.

I'm excited to share portions of my journey with you. Through my blog here, I will share photos and stories I find unique. For some images I will give you the technical background and for others I will explain a little of the feeling behind the shot. I'm calling this regular blog feature - The Defined Foto.


To each photographer reading this, I hope in some small way it inspires you to continue your evolution. Take the time to practice new lighting set-ups, new camera angles and new editing skills. Find inspiration from various sources but be sure to maintain your own unique way of approaching every photo you take. Most of all, stay in touch with the fun energy you felt when you picked up a camera and took your first shots.

If you enjoy my blogs, please feel free to follow and share. Along the right side you'll see links to other blogs of mine as well as my Facebook, Twitter and Google+ pages. Just below each blog there are links that allow you to share the blog. If one strikes a chord with you, please feel free to pass it on.

About the photos:
1) Diana - Shot in a style I used to shoot six to seven years ago. It was fun to revert to shooting glamour in a style I liked. Diana gave me the freedom and simply asked for classy, sexy images.
2) Josh and Cassie - I used to shoot a lot of weddings six to eight years ago when I first started photography. After going through a divorce, I stopped shooting them for a few years. This year I decided to add a few weddings back in to my schedule including Josh and Cassie. They were an amazing couple, and a lot of fun to work with.
3) Tamara - Although this shot was taken recently, this image signifies a style I used to frequently use. After shooting the traditional "gym shots" we ventured outside to shoot some bikini in a SI style. I will touch on this shoot with Tamara in an upcoming "The Defined Photo" blog.
4) Rob and Asha - It's a lot of fun to get guys being themselves at a wedding. It didn't take much coaxing to get the groomsmen to gang up on Rob and show him a thing or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment